Search This Blog

Monday 28 November 2016



Japanese Green Tea Reduces Dementia

My grandfather died of Alzheimer's, though not dementia I believe they are similar.  So reading this article struck me as important.  I already like Japanese green teas, so it is not a stretch for me personally.  This just makes me feel a little better drinking something I already love to drink so, this is an added bonus for me.  

It seems the steaming process and shading of most Japanese green teas is what produces ECGC (epigallocatechin). It is believed that ECGC is what lowers the risk of getting dementia. They were able to see a measurable, but much smaller reduction of risk of dementia with drinking oolong or black tea.  According to the study, Japanese teas provide up to 24% reduction of dementia.


For everyone who does not drink Japanese green tea, I hope this article gives them the impetus to try Japanese green teas, especially if they have a history of dementia in the family. I hope they discover the wonderful taste and huge variety of Japanese green teas so if one does not work try the others (Gyokuro, Matcha, Sencha, Bancha, Houjicha, et al....) and they steep correctly before they decide it is not for them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment