Smoky Tomato Soup
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, halved and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoon flour
2 cups veggie stock
1 ½ cups tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 sprigs thyme
1 fresh bay leaf
1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup of grated smoked provolone
sprigs of fresh thyme, garnish
1. In a large pot set heat to medium-high and add the butter.
2. Sauté the onion and carrot for 8-10 minutes or until very soft and beginning to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture, mix well and continue cooking for another minute.
5. Gradually pour in the stock, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
6. Add the diced tomatoes, paprika, thyme, bay leaf, garlic and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove soup from the heat.
9. Add the heavy cream and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
10. Season to taste and serve garnished with smoked provolone and fresh thyme.